Friday night came with the shocking confirmation that young Bulls prospect Jacques du Plessis has been lured to a French club on a two-year deal. The SA under-20 utility forward will join Jake White’s French club Montpellier who are also reported to have submitted an unsuccessful offer to acquire Sharks Peter-Steph du Toit’s services.
After losing Paul Willemse to Grenoble last year, du Plessis was considered the natural successor to fill the gap at lock with Van der Merwe injured. But the offer was just too good to refuse, and the Bulls simply couldn’t compete. According to supersport.com Bulls High Performance manager Xander Janse van Rensburg is said to have confirmed that the offer made to the 21-year-old Du Plessis was way beyond anything the Blue Bulls Company could even dream of putting on the table.
Du Plessis will still complete his Super Rugby and Currie Cup seasons with the Bulls
Former Springbok and world cup winning Coach Jake White is said to have a hit list of players he wants for Montpellier and has cash to burn.
Du Plessis made a name for himself when he starred for the SA under-20s in 2013 and also as flank in last year’s Super Rugby competition making a player to look out for in the Springboks.
As if that was not enough, the Bulls are also said to be losing Flip van der Merwe who will be heading to Clermont at the end of the year, while The Bulls also confirmed that, as reported previously, Ulrich Beyers had signed with Bordeaux after completing a trial there.
The Bulls say they had contingency plans for events of this nature and have some of the best young players in the country. In their books players like RG Snyman, Dennis Visser, Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, Marvin Orie, Irne Herbst and Jason Jenkins are all among the best in their age groups and are being prepared to step in and compete at a very high level.