Protea ODI captain will go down in history as the first South African Captain to lead his country to a knock-out victory in a World Cup tournament after seven attempts which span over a 23 years period since re-admission to international competition. However, there is a lot that people do not know about him. Please see below the top 7 things you might not know about AB.
- AB de Villiers attended Afrikaanse Hoër Seunskool (Afrikaans High School for Boys, also known as Affies), a public school located in Pretoria.
- He attended alongside Jacques Rudolph, Heino Kuhn and Francois du Plessis all fellow South African international cricketers.
- He is a recipient of the prestigious national medal from the Late Nelson Mandela for a science project.
- He is a talented sportsman who has also excelled in golf, rugby, badminton, cricket and tennis.
- Rugby was the most followed sport at his school so he too had to take it up. He was soon part of the school’s rugby team, the 1st XV of the Affies.
- He performed extraordinarily well and was selected for the Blue Bulls U-18 side, which had some big names that would later represent South African rugby
- He once had a flair for hockey, and made it to the U-16 side of the school and was shortlisted for South Africa’s junior national hockey team.