Hlompho Kekana’s wonder goal against Cameroon in an AFCON qualifier has made the nomination list for the Fifa Puskás Award 2016. Kekana scored a long range effort, against Cameroon on March 26 in Limbe during a nail biting match which ended in a 2-2 draw.
The prize will be awarded to the Goal of the Year winner at the biggest gala event in football circles to be held on 9 January 2017 in Zurich.
Since the winner is selected on the basis of fan votes, Hlompo Kekana now depends on our votes to see his name added to a list of past winners which includes the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, James Rodriguez.
The rest of the nominees are as follows:
- Mario Gaspar (ESP) – 13.11.2015, Spain v. England, international friendly
- Hlompho Kekana (RSA) – 26.03.2016, Cameroon v. South Africa, Africa Cup of Nations qualifier
- Marlone (BRA) – 21.04.2016, Corinthians v. Cobresal, Copa Libertadores
- Lionel Messi (ARG) – 21.06.2016, USA v. Argentina, Copa América Centenario semi-final
- Neymar (BRA) – 08.11.2015, Barcelona v. Villarreal, La Liga (Spain)
- Saúl Ñíguez (ESP) – 27.04.2016, Atlético Madrid v. Bayern Munich, UEFA Champions League
- Hal Robson-Kanu (WAL) – 01.07.2016, Wales v. Belgium, UEFA EURO 2016
- Daniuska Rodríguez (VEN) – 14.03.2016, Venezuela v. Colombia, South American U-17 Women’s Football Championship
- Simon Skrabb (FIN) – 31.10.2015, Gefle v. Åtvidaberg, Allsvenskan league, Sweden
- Mohd Faiz Subri (MAS) – 16.02.2016, Penang v. Pahang, Malaysia Super League